Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Our bundle of joy has arrived!!!

Words cannot describe how we are feeling right now...our little boy has finally entered this world and he is more beautiful than we could have ever imagined.


Owen Daniel was born on 8/25/2008 at 8:35 p.m. He weighed 6 lbs. 13 oz. and was 20 inches long. For now he has fuzzy blonde hair and blue eyes.


As the weekend progressed it seemed like I was continually becoming more and more sluggish. My belly felt so huge and the backaches did not seem to stop. On Monday morning I knew that I would never survive the day at work...I called Labor & Delivery at 6 a.m. to see if I should go in for an evaluation. We arrived at Mercy around 7:30 a.m. and the evaluation showed that I was having contractions...back labor...but was still only 1-2 cm dilated...basically there was nothing they could do for me until I dilated more or my water broke. Just as we were going to be getting sent home, I had another contraction begin and little Owen started to kick me...it was then that my water broke! What an exciting moment!!!


I was checked into my labor room around 10:30 a.m. and tried to cope with the back labor until a little after Noon when they would finally give me an epidural. (I had to wait until I was at least 3 cm dilated). From that point on, things got easier because I didn't have to feel the contractions...just wait for dilation to happen. Luckily I progressed at about 1 cm every 45 minutes to 1 hour and was ready to start pushing around 5:30 p.m.


I pushed for about 2 1/2 hours and was running out of energy...the doctor finally said they could help with a vacuum suction and 30 minutes later my little man was out and breathing on his own! It was truly a miracle!



No comments: